Since 2001, Criterion has assisted federal agencies and vendors with their Section 508 compliance requirements. We approach Section 508 compliance from a “real world” perspective by including Section 508 testers with disabilities on every audit. Quite simply, we believe if you want to know whether a website or application is Section 508 compliant, you should ask people with disabilities!
Criterion has provided Section 508 testing and training solutions directly to the U.S. Forest Service, Dept. of Homeland Security, Health and Human Services and the Veterans Administration. We have assisted more than 800 federal vendors in the following industries with their Section 508 requirements: eCommerce, software, security, defense, technology, hotels, hospitality, financial services, banking, insurance, health care, education, communications, recreation, and entertainment.
Whether testing large eCommerce platforms, software, web applications, or mobile apps Criterion provides our clients with the most accurate and cost-effective Section 508 solutions in our industry!
Submit Your Questions Here!
Section 508 Testing
One of the goals of Section 508 compliance is to ensure a website, or web application, functions properly with assistive technologies (software or hardware used by people with disabilities). To ensure the most accurate Section 508 test results, Criterion’s audit team utilize:
- Screen readers
- Text to speech software
- Color contrast analyzers
- Alternative keyboard devices
- Website accessibility scanning software, etc.
Section 508 Compliance Solutions
Our Section 508 compliance services include:
- Website Accessibility Testing – WCAG 2.0 & Section 508
- Mobile Accessibility Testing - Native iOS & Android Apps, Responsive Websites, Mobile Web, and Hybrid Apps
- Document Accessibility Testing & Repair – PDF, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, or InDesign Documents
- WCAG Compliance Training – Website Accessibility, Mobile Accessibility, PDF Accessibility, JAWS Testing, etc.
- Web Accessibility Consulting – ADA Website Compliance, 508 Compliance, Accessibility Compliance Planning, Purchasing Accessibility Testing, etc.
The Criterion Advantage
We encourage you to compare our standard website accessibility compliance package to our competitor’s. If you can find the same deliverables listed below for less money elsewhere, take it!
- Manual Web Accessibility Testing: A 1st Pass web accessibility testing conducted by 4 auditors, including end-users with disabilities and a senior applications developer, utilizing: Screen Readers, Magnifiers, Color Contrast Analyzers, Speech to Text / Text to Speech, Alternative Keyboard Devices, etc.
- Automated Web Accessibility Testing: Website accessibility testing using the industry’s leading HTML validator. NOTE: Automated testing can only capture approximately 17% of WCAG 2.0 Guideline failures. According to the U.S. Government and the W3C: “Web accessibility evaluation tools cannot determine accessibility, they can only assist in doing so.”
- Online Web Accessibility Training: Award-winning interactive WCAG accessibility training courses for your web development team and document developers.
- Customized Web Accessibility Tool Kit: Recommendations for web accessibility tools, plugins, and assistive technologies based on your specific platform and development requirements.
- Dedicated WCAG Technical Support: Support and troubleshooting assistance from a dedicated WCAG testing expert.
ADA Website Compliance Documentation:
- Letter of Retention
- VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility Template)
- GPAT (Government Product Accessibility Template)
- Website Accessibility Statement
- Statement of WCAG Compliance
- Vendor management forms
- One Year Warranty: If a customer with a disability experiences an accessibility issue on previously audited content within a year of project completion, we will troubleshoot the issue at no additional charge.
PDF Accessibility Testing
Section 508 compliance requires PDF documents to be accessible to everyone, including people with disabilities. For nearly two decades, Criterion has provided fast and affordable PDF testing and repair solutions to Health and Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (GPAT) and the U.S. Forest Service.
Section 508 Training
Written by Criterion’s subject-matter experts and instructional designers, our online training courses are tailored to provide the knowledge your project team requires to create and maintain Section 508 compliant websites, applications, mobile apps and PDF documents.
2018 Online Training Courses:
- Introduction to Web Accessibility
- WCAG Testing & Repair Techniques
- JAWS 17 Accessibility Testing Techniques
- Designing for Web Accessibility
- Mobile Accessibility Testing & Repair Techniques
- PDF Accessibility Testing & Repair Techniques
- Word 2016 Accessibility Testing & Repair Techniques
- PowerPoint 2016 Accessibility Testing & Repair Techniques
Section 508 Agency Support Services
Criterion specializes in supporting federal agencies with their Section 508 organizational requirements. For example, our multi-year contract with the U.S. Forest Service has provided the department with the following Section 508 services:
- Section 508 Program Management and Governance
- Section 508 Strategic Planning and Advisory Services
- Section 508 GAP Analysis
- Survey Design, Administration and Analysis
- Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) Accessibility Support
- Section 508 Compliance Testing
- Acquisitions and Vendor Management Support
- Section 508 Awareness and Technical Training
"We have repeatedly retained Criterion to provide Section 508 compliance testing for our many software products. Criterion’s Section 508 contracting support and documentation is outstanding!” – Federal Software Vendor